Beef Fillet with Cauliflower Puree, Mushrooms and Wilted Spinach
Looking for a main to impress your guests? Follow this recipe and you will!
It does take time but you won’t regret it. I have made this dish over three times now and it’s definitely one of my favourites!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Serves: 6 people
1k-piece beef eye fillet, trimmed, trussed
1 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper, to season
100g unsalted butter
400g button mushrooms, halved
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g spinach, trimmed
Red Wine Sauce
4 oxtail bones
2 tbs olive oil
2 carrots, finely diced
2 sticks celery, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 leek, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
500ml (2 cups) beef stock
250ml (1 cup) red wine
6 white peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3 thyme springs
3 parsley springs
3g dried porcini
100g (1 cup) sourdough breadcrumbs
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp olive oil
300g cauliflower florets
1 small onion, finely chopped
250ml (1 cup) milk
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
1. Preheah oven to 220C. To make sauce, place oxtail bones on an oven tray and roast for 30 minutes or until browned.
2. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add oxtail bones and remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, into a bowl, discarding solids. Return sauce to pot over medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
3. Reduce heat to 200C. Brush beef all over with oil and season. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add beef and cook, turning, for 6 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to an oven tray and roast for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, loosely covered with foil, for 20 minutes to rest.
4. Meanwhile, to make porcini crumbs, reduce oven to 150C. Using a mortar and pestle, grind porcini with 1 pinch of salt and pepper to a fine powder. Combine breadcrumbs, porcini mixture and oil in a small bowl. Place on an oven tray in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden.
5. To make cauliflower puree, heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower and onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add milk and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain, then blend cauliflower with cream until smooth. Season.
6. Melt half of the butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Season.
7. Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add spinach and cook, tossing for 1 minute or until wilted. Season.
8. Divide cauliflower puree among serving plates. Top with spinach. Discard string from beef and slice, then place on top of spinach. Dot mushrooms on plate and pour over sauce. Sprinkle over crumbs to serve.
A delicious main!! Enjoy it!!